GUS & WARREN ON THE STRAIGHT PATH

 

In western Suffolk County there is a road known as Straight Path. It runs from Rt 110, in Amityville on the south shore east to Copaigue then north easterly to the middle of the Island, ending up at Deer Park Avenue near Dix Hills. For the most part it is a very straight road living up to it's name and runs straight through the town of Wyandanch. Wyandanch is named for the Indian Sachem, Wyandance that sold Mastic Meadows to the colonists in 1657. I only mention this because in a convoluted way it applies to this next story.

 

Straight As An Arrow Through The Heart Of

WYANDANCH

When Warren and Arthur Smadbeck had the chance to buy the J. B. Lawrence Estate in 1926 they probably didn't hesitate. They were already very astute real estate business men. They formed their Home Guardian Corp in 1917 and since 1922 they had been developing and selling land in Mastic Park near the Poospatuck Reservation about 3 or 4 miles north of the Lawrence place.

In the real estate game they say the three elements for success are location, location and location. Well the Lawrence Estate was in great location being on the bay and all, and by calling it Mastic Beach they could tie it into an already successful development. There was just one small problem. The long and winding roads you would have to take to get to it. And the bit of a hassle with detouring around the private estates most notably Knapp's, that blocked direct access to it.

Their problem was solved by a little transaction that Warren Smadbeck made with the then 81 year old "Gus" Floyd. This next deed is for land that would cut across Floyd's estate wide enough to construct a road and grant egress to to the gate of the Lawrence Estate. It later became known as The Fork and it was aptly called Mastic Beach Road.

 

Here is a piece of the 4 page document dated May 3 1926 that allowed the road to be built.

Notice the typos White Out was not invented yet.

 

The Green Mile or so is where the road would wind up.

THE ENTRANCE TO MASTIC BEACH

And the road itself looking south from the fork which is the start of it. By 1930's Yogi Berra would be very correct in saying "When you get to the fork in the road take it", as both Mastic Beach Road and the original Mastic Road to the right of the tower aka Mastick Turnpike Road aka Railroad Avenue would take you to the rapidly expanding town of Mastic Beach

 

This was Gus Floyds home located on Forge River built after 1881 when his brother in law William B. Dana drew up the agreement to divide the William Floyd estate up between John, Nicol, Kitty, and Gus. It was located on Lon's Creek between The William Floyd & W. E. Baker estates.William Edgar Baker was an architect who married a Floyd granddaughter Ella Lindley. They divorced in 1928 and most of us Mastic Beach old timers would come to know Ella as Mrs. William S. Dana.

 

Gus didn't get to use the new road much as he passed away in December of 1927. But he probably used the road known as Church or Mill. The reason.......it is stated in the deed that Home Guardian Co is not to show that road on any of their plans. Most of Church Road got erased by development over time and what was left of it did show up on maps of Mastic Beach.

HOME

  1